At Birchwood Private Physiotherapy in Oakdale Surgery our physiotherapists are specialists in assessing, treating and managing a wide range of musculoskeletal conditions, pain problems and sports injuries. Our sports injury specialists look after teenage athletes at LeAf Athlete Academy, ensuring that future elite athletes stay injury-free and able to deliver top performance.
But you don't have to be a top-level athlete to come and see us, we also look after occasional exercisers, weekend warriors and people with pain problems such as back pain, neck pain or other joint sprains or muscle strains. We focus on getting to the root of your problem to ease your pain, improve your joint movements and get you back to doing the activities you love.
We listen carefully to what you have to say and agree your goals with you so we are clear on what we are aiming for. We communicate regularly with local consultants and GPs so that your treatment is the most effective it can be.
- One hour initial assessments are £70 (45 mins at £52)
- 30-minute follow-up is £40
- 40-minute virtual assessment online is £40
- 30-minute virtual follow-up online is £30
Treatment techniques our physiotherapists are skilled at include:
- Mobilisation and manipulation. These techniques are used to relieve pain and increase the range of movement of joints. Systems used are Maitland, Mulligan and Cyriax techniques.
- Electrotherapy. This has an effect on soft tissue repair and pain. Techniques include pulsed shortwave, ultrasound, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) and interferential Therapy
- Kinetic control. Kinetic control breaks down the movements of the human body into segments so that errors of movement can be spotted and corrected.
- Muscle energy techniques and myofascial release. These techniques release tight muscles and other soft tissues, helping to restore good patterns of muscle use.
- Corrective taping. Taping is used to support the joint or muscle involved and inhibit unwanted movements or actions.
- Exercise programmes. You have a relatively short time with the physio and it's essential that you know what you should be doing to maintain and improve the treatment effects you have achieved in the consultation.
- Acupuncture. We use acupuncture to relieve joint pain, chronic pain or post-operative pain.
- Chronic pain management. Chronic pain problems are common and cause significant pain, work loss and personal distress. We work with people to form a rehabilitation plan which includes exercise, relaxation, education, pain management techniques and psychological approaches.
- Ergonomic advice and assessment. We can perform a thorough ergonomic assessment of your workplace environment to lessen the chances of work-related pain disorders and sickness absence.
We also teach Pilates for strength, mobility and good posture with one-to-one tuition from a qualified physiotherapist.
All our physios are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (MCSP), members of Physio First - the Private Physiotherapists Association, and two belong to the Acupuncture Association of Chartered Physiotherapists (AACP).
Birchwood Private Physiotherapy is registered with BUPA, AXA PPP and other major insurance companies. For complex injuries or pain conditions, we offer a one-hour assessment for £65 and we accept cheques as well as cash.